Friday, January 29, 2016

Groundhog Day Ideas


This might be weird, but I always loved celebrating February's "unsung" holiday - Groundhog Day - with my kindergartners.  I could take or leave Valentine's Day, but Groundhog Day is the best!  We did a ton of fun activities surrounding Groundhog Day, but one of my favorites was using this exciting occasion to practice predicting (and graphing) with my students.

Since lately I am absolutely obsessed with the ChatterPix Kids app (it's free, it's fun, it's easy!), we'll be using it in some classrooms next Monday and Tuesday to document student predictions.  We'll first use the Today's Meet backchannel (I posted about this before, CLICK HERE to read my earlier post with some more details about using it) to record our predictions.  Then, the students can either take a photo of a Groundhog Day art project they've already made, or use a drawing app on the iPad (like Draw & Tell or Doodle Buddy) to draw an Groundhog Day picture and upload to the ChatterPix Kid app.  They'll then make the groundhog "talk" to announce their predictions.

These videos will be saved to the iPad camera rolls, then uploaded to Seesaw learning journals to share with others.  I can't wait to try it!  I will post some examples next week.

What are your Groundhog Day plans?  If you have a fun activity you like to do, post it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment