Friday, August 28, 2015

The Global Read Aloud project

Desiree Caskey encouraged me to participate in the Global Read Aloud project a couple of years ago, just to see what it was all about.  It was one of the best things I have ever done for my classroom! The GRA started with one simple goal: to connect the world with one book.  It has since expanded to include a series of books by one author for primary students.  It is an incredible way to give your kids a global perspective, and connect with classrooms outside of your school, city, state, etc.  I absolutely loved the opportunity to participate in GRA.

GRA provided a framework for going outside of my comfort zone in the classroom - I discovered many new tools for connecting my classroom with others including Kidblog, Edmodo, Twitter and Skype.  Introducing my students to these tools transformed my classroom!

This year, the author study for primary classrooms is Amy Krouse Rosenthal.  If you choose to participate, don't become overwhelmed!  There is a pacing guide for reading the stories and sharing out with others, however, there were weeks when we just didn't have time to get to that particular book.  Other times, we read the book and loved seeing other kids' thoughts and projects, but didn't have time to contribute our own.  It is okay!  Do what you can - your kids will benefit from the connections and conversations they can have with other kids, knowing they have enjoyed the same story together.  So exciting!

Click the image below for the GRA site.  You can also follow its creator, Pernille Ripp, on Twitter @pernilleripp or Tweet with the hashtag #GRA15 to hear from other teachers about the Global Read Aloud.  If you are interested in participating and are not sure how, where, what to do .... call me!  Email me!  Tweet me!  Book me!  I'd love to come help.


No comments:

Post a Comment